Thursday, November 29, 2007

Of Cars and Traffic Lights

Last night was a long night and I just have to write about this.

I was driving with my wife along LDP towards TTDI and had stopped at the traffic light at exit 1104, which was under the viaduct, turning right into SPRINT highway. As usual, traffic from the left coming from Kepong and going to SS2 under the viaduct is low as only those who miss the viaduct would use this route. As there are construction works going on to improve the interchange, there were boards put up which restricts the view, meaning one cannot see the other lanes.

When the light turned green, I did not notice and my wife had to remind me that the light has turned green. As I moved forward, a car came from the left, and smashed his right front corner into the front of my car, right in the centre. The other driver had obviously beaten the red light and after having hit my car, was able to stop only some 10 metres away to my right. Seeing that my car had stalled, to my horror, the car drove off. As the car stopped only for a short while and the lights were quite dim, all I could make out were the numerals of the car number plate, 5371. I didn't even catch the make of the car, except that it is a saloon and japanese make.

The time was about 7:55pm. Thus started my long night. I called my insurance agent, who managed to get a workshop from the approved panel to come help me get all the paperwork done.

8::07pm - called my agent

8:15pm - the workshop agent called me

8:45pm - the workshop agent arrived.

8:55pm - the tow truck arrived

9:10pm - arrived at PJ police station

9:35pm - wrote out my police report

10:00pm - received my police report, signed and asked to meet with the IO.

11:30pm - interview with the investigating officer (IO)

12 mn - left police station

The most inconvenienced part of the whole episode is the long wait. Experiencing this for the first time, this is innately long to make an accident police report. The 1.5 hours wait for the IO is just too long.

However, I am thankful that both of us are not hurt, that we were not in a hurry and so did not move out as soon as the light turned green, as if I had moved out earlier or faster, the other car would have slammed into the passenger side where my wife was seated.
Below is what the front of my car looked like after the accident. This was taken by my phone camera is a dark area but you can make out the extent of the damage.

My agent had called me and informed me that other than what was visible, the radiator and the compressor are also damaged. The repair is going to be quite extensive. The good thing is that as the car is less than 5 years old, they will be replaced with original parts and the workshop owner is a good friend of his.

Overall, we are thankful that save for the inconvenience, we are all ok. On a personal basis, I just cannot comprehend why people who drives beat red lights. No matter how much of a hurry you are, a 2 minutes wait at the traffic light is not going to make that much or a difference. It is one thing to endanger your own life but please do not endanger the lives of others. And the interchange at exit 1104 is a busy one.

To the driver of car number 5371, please do not endanger the lives of others on the road. I pray you will change your driving habit as you may not be so lucky the next time.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:48 AM  
Blogger Guy in the glass said...

cool dude, your comment is irrelevant to the subject of this blog entry.

7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home