Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Agra and Taj Mahal

As I wrote in my previous post, here is a highlight of my visit to Agra. I had to stay back on one of the weekends when I was there on business and I decided that I will take the opportunity to visit Agra. I booked a package with an agent in the hotel that I stayed and took this 1 day trip.


Below are some of the photos that I took when I was there. The information that I provide was what I was told by the tour guide who was assigned to us.

Direct view of Taj Mahal, as seen in many advertising posters. In the centre is usually a pool and one can usually see it filled with water. However, there is a drought in Agra for 5 years now and there is a shortage of water. The pool has also dried up. It was a clear day and the blue sky makes an excellent background for the monument.


A view from one of the arch near the entrance to the compound of the monument.

Angle view taken from the compound. The inside is quite different from outside the monument ground. Inside, it is full of greenery and it is quite well maintained.


A closer view at a similar angle.

This is from the side of the monument, behind me is a mosque. You can perceive how huge the monument is by comparing it with the people on the monument platform and those in the foreground.


The arch of one of the doors entering the monument.

A close-up of the marble beside the door in the above picture. An attraction of Agra is the unique kind of marble they have which allows light to shine through which they imbed with semi-precious stones to give it a very nice pattern when lighted.



This is the entrance to Agra fort, where the Mughal rulers used to stay.




This is in the compound of Agra fort, plenty of greenery. The army barracks are also within the walls of Agra fort.



This is within Agra fort. Notice the symmetrical architecture on the ceiling. Very impressive architecture.



This is the area where Shah Jahan was imprisoned. At the left bottom corner is actually a small pool.



This is the view Shah Jahan has of the Monument that he built for Mumtaz Mahal from Agra fort, where he was imprisoned by his son for 8 years after the battle of Samogarh. At the left of the monument is the Yamuna river. It is reduced to almost a stream due to the drought. I was told that the vegetation in the foreground were covered with water and is part of the river before the drought.


The is the entrance to Sikandara, the tomb of Akbar the Great.



Following 2 pictures were taken with my 2 megapixels mobile phone camera. With sufficient light, the phone camera does take reasonably good pictures.


This picture was taken from the garden entering the Taj. I like this as there is this single bird flying in the air just above the monument. The speck is not a blemish in the photo.


Another photo of the entrance to Sikandara.


We were at Agra in September, which is still quite hot. It is about a 3.5 to 4 hours drive from Delhi. Although it is highway all the way from Delhi to Agra, the car cannot go too fast as there are people crossing the highway at certain points. I am glad I booked the car and the visit through a travel agent at the hotel where I stayed. The payment included a car, a driver and a guide when in Agra to explain the various attractions and to take photos for us. And yes, lunch is included as well.


The monument is said to be very symmetrical. It certainly is very majestic. I am glad we made the trip. It certainly deserves to be voted as one of the seven wonders.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Daphne Ling said...

Hi Guy in the Glass,

Whaddyanoe? I was in Agra too! Looking at your picture of Agra Fort overlooking the Taj Mahal as a speck in the distance was like deja vu man...

But your pics are darn clear...I wish I had brought a better camera along (ahem, bad photography skills don't help either ler ;)) and the sun wasn't so darn bright...

I went in summer, so everything was like extra lit-up in my photos (without flash!)...

Anyway, lovely photos...Do you mind if I curi some (if I use, I will credit to you, of course)?

By the way, holler if you're in Ipoh or Penang...I owe you a teh-tarik! =)

8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home